Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design

Freedom Game

Platform Game

Chase Game


Hey guys!! so I just created my game and if you want to play it it's right above this passage and be sure to leave a comment telling me what you thought of my chase game, Enjoy! Lets talk about my user experience and how it influenced my game. So, I thought that as the gamer plays my game it would be nice to throw in some vibrant and unique characters as well as a odd background to go with the unusual sprites. I think the smoothness of how the dinosaur moves is pretty well and I added the arrows to move it because almost everyone knows where they're located and they are very easy to use. the cake tries to catch the dinosaur and moves very nicely. The four watermelons are placed in a straight plain line almost as if they were set up as a finish line. I've played a lot games with bright vibrant colors so I just thought they would be a great addition.

Anyway, in my first game that I created, (my chase game) our task was to make a game where something was chasing another thing. I wanted my game to pop out so I chose some sprites that I though would be pretty unique together! I had the donut as the chaser and the player was the dinosaur. The object of the game was to collect all 5 watermelons and avoid the donut until the timer got to 0. We were told to make a chase game with a scoreboard and I am pretty proud for accomplishing that on my first chase game. In my second game (my platform game) we had to design a game where we had to jump onto platform thingies until you get to the top or something similar to that where there was a goal when you got to the end or top. For this game our requirements was to have 2 levels, and design our own platform game with a countdown timer. I had this in my game! Both of my games had timers, donuts, and goal they had to reach. But only one of them has a scoreboard.


During this project I think that I've come face to face or should I say face to screen with some difficult bugs that occurred in my games especially since most of the time I was asking questions, but didn't really get an answer. Anyways, some bug fixes that appeared while I was coding was most of the time the sprite/ character wasn't moving the way it's supposed to move. For example, in my platform game if you just continuously press the up arrow the donut, my sprite, won't come down it'll just keep going up and up and up. According to Mr. Sanderl I need to add an and block to make sure that the sprite will come down when I press the up arrow. While on the other hand of my bugs I think my best code would have to be the smoothness of the way my characters move like when you press the up, down, left, or right arrow the sprite moves very smoothly and effectively, but yeah i think that's probably my best coding.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how the dinosaur is trying to get the watermelon while the cake is chasing you, some of the other games are just chasing. Your game doesn't have a timer, try going to the data category and type in time. I like the background i really think it brings out the colors of the sprites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Talia! Great game! I really like how smoothly the demon cake moved while chasing your cake; that must have been difficult to do! One thing I would change about your game would be to add something that let's you know when you have won the game (here is a link that will show you how to do that: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/19574/). Another thing I enjoyed about your game was that the cake didn't move too fast while chasing you because it wasn't impossible to win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how short and sweet this game was. Maybe, since it was so short, make more levels. Other than that, I loved how smoothly the characters moved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you have different moving platforms, making your game a bit harder. In your game you can fly, I'm not sure if you wanted it to do that, but I'm just pointing it out. I also like the placement of the timer, so it doesn't get in the way of the gameplay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cool platform game! I like how you made the platforms constantly moving. One thing you might want to work on is your gravity engine, it wasn't as smooth as it could be. (Here's a helpful link: http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Simulating_Gravity ) What I did like though, is how the game objective was really clear, even without instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your platformer a lot! I like how you used text layovers to describe the video game.
    Maybe you could make your timer a little shorter, because with 60 seconds, it's a little easy to beat. I also liked the moving platforms, I think that was a very innovative idea and it really makes your game stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your platformer game is really fun and unique. You should probably make your falling/gravity engine have a stronger pull because the cake can fly to the circle. This game is really cool and can not wait to see the freedom one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chase game was fun and creative. Although, it seems like I can't win. Overall, it was a fun and creative game.

    ReplyDelete